The Clifton Suspension Bridge across the Bristol Avon is designed by William Henry Barlow and John Hawkshaw (based on an earlier design by Isambard Kingdom Brunel).
Construction is completed in December 1864 (as a memorial to Brunel) and traffic begins to use the stone and wrought iron structure, which links Clifton in Bristol to Leigh Woods in North Somerset.
Plans for a bridge across the river are put together as early as 1753, though the details contained in the earliest plan differ markedly from the ‘finished product’ we see today. An attempt to construct Brunel’s design in 1831 fails as progress is halted by the Bristol riots. Brunel dies in 1859, never seeing the finalised structure. In 2002, Brunel places second in a BBC run-down of the ‘100 Greatest Britons’.